The Fishermen's Memorial

1860 - 1923

Situated on the North Wall of the Church, the Fishermen’s Memorial consists of 14 Oak Panels. Onto these panels the names of 217, who lost their lives at sea, have been engraved. The first 18 engravings were done on Saturday, 6th February 1909, with the Memorial being unveiled by the Mayor of Lowestoft, Mr. H.G.Jones on Sunday, February 7th, 1909, with additional portions being added in 1936 and 1944. Its inscription reads, “To the Glory of God and in Memory of Those Fishermen from this coast who have lost Their Lives at Sea whilst in pursuit of their calling this Faithful Record is Dedicated”. A.D.M.C.M.1.X. The first two panels are known as the Brame Memorial with the second two as the Sterry Memorial.

The early engravings were done ONLY for the Master/Skipper of the vessel lost. This listing includes all the known crew members, both from Lowestoft and elsewhere, as a fitting tribute to all of them who lost their lives at sea.

Please click here to view the full list

Note: This listing DOES NOT INCLUDE those who lost their lives on Drifters and Trawlers hired by the Admiralty for service during WW1. Information for these is available within the Memorial Chapel for visitors or by contacting info1@stmargaretslowestoft.co.uk

 




This church website is powered by Church Edit